If you are missing your pet, follow these steps!
1. Contact the Capital Humane Society at 402-441-4488 and leave a lost report. We also want you to come into the Admissions & Assessment Center at 2320 Park Boulevard to see if your pet is here. You know your pet better than we do!
2. Contact Animal Control at 402-441-7900, a division of the City-County Health Department, to see if they have picked up your pet or have any reports.
3. Call the Lincoln Journal Star at 402-473-7373. They will place an ad in the Lost & Found section for six days at no charge.
4. Make posters including a picture and description. Post them in your neighborhood and make sure all your neighbors know your pet is missing.
5. Make sure to check online sites like Craigslist's Lost & Found and Pet Sections. Often times citizens post on these and do not always contact us or Lincoln Animal Control.
6. You can contact Lost Pets of Lancaster County on Facebook for assistance in searching for your lost pet. You can post your lost pet's information and picture to their Facebook page, too.
7. If you have a picture of your lost pet please email it to us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
8. Search for your lost dog or cat on Petco Love Lost. We have partnered with Petco Love Lost to easily help search the national lost and found database and create a searchable/shareable alert for your missing pet. Upload a a picture of your pet or searching by location. Powered by facial recognition technology, Petco Love Lost helps match found animals to reported lost pets nationwide.
8. You know your pet better than anyone and the ultimate responsibility for finding it is yours.
If you have found a stray pet, these tips are for you!
1. Check and see if the animal has a collar and identification tags. Most owners put a telephone number to call if their pet is ever lost. Micro-chipping pets is becoming more and more common; these chips can be found with a special scanner that we have along with most veterinary clinics. You can always bring the animal in to be checked for a microchip.
2. Search online lost pet pages to see if the animal has been reported missing.
3. If you wish to keep the animal at your house until the owner is found, you can file a found animal report by calling our Admissions and Assessments Center at 402-441-4488 ext. 2.
4. If you are unable to keep the pet you can bring the animal to the Capital Humane Society at 2320 Park Boulevard in Lincoln.
5. Call Animal Control and they will come and get the animal from your location. Animal Control can be reached at 402-441-7900. Since we are the only housing facility for Lincoln and Lancaster County, most owners will check our building first. We will hold the found animal through its stray holding period. If unclaimed, the animal’s temperament and health will be assessed for entry into our adoption program.
6. If you have filed a found report and you are successful in locating the pets owner, please give us a call so that we can close their report!