What is known today as the Capital Humane Society began in 1902 as the Lancaster County Humane Society. The first shelter was located in a shed near the West 'O' Street viaduct. The Society's mission focused on the prevention of cruelty to children and horses. Around 1907 the services expanded to include a variety of animals.
In September, 1924 the Society acquired a three acre tract of land at Park Boulevard and Hatch Street, a gift in the Sawyer-Snell Estate. The current shelter is the third to sit at this location and was erected in 1966. A renovation was completed at the facility in 1997.
In the Spring of 2004, renovation was completed on the new Spay/Neuter Vet clinic at the shelter. We are now able to spay and neuter all animals going into the adoption program.
On July 2nd, 2013 the Pieloch Pet Adoption Center opened it's doors at 6500 S. 70th Street. The center handles adoptions and humane education at this beautiful facility at 70th and Hwy 2. Our original location on Park Boulevard is still in operation and now functions as our Admissions & Assessment Center.
Today, Capital Humane Society serves the community by sheltering unwanted pets, acts as an advocate for animal welfare and strives to educate the public about responsible pet care.